Since I’m posting the whole week (preschool, 4th grade, Geography Matters, science experiments, etc.) … get that cup of coffee and enjoy my long weekly wrap up with a ton of links!
- Right C Wrong C game to the Chicken Dance! (stop music hop on a wrong facing “c” – erase it *picture shows ASL sign for “wrong”)
- C snack – cracker crowns – (be sure to use some sprinkles on your icing for the jewels)
- C is a cloud (my older son created & labelled different types of clouds)
- a bag full of C books (after I paid $70 in library fees – now you know why I have affiliate links)!
- toothpick Circus – little man made the tightrope while the boy made the trapeze artists (which lead to a discussion on gravity – wrapping back into our Geography Matters science)
- We Choose Virtues – Content, “I have my wanter under control”
- Traced some letters (using Homeschool Creations ABC printables *laminated to reuse)
- worked together making a Castle (old cereal / snack boxes) and used our in the castle puppets to put on a show. (saying that choking on laughter – 9yr old took “set design” and directing a bit too seriously)
- painted purple crowns for Easter – Christ / Crown (king of kings)
All About Reading - Little Man is definitely not picking up “rhyming” from the activities – but he’ll do it on his own while he’s singing. But when we have the activity cards he just has this blank look on his face. Not pushing him -having fun picking out the week’s letter.
Cloud Science FAIL – we tried to make clouds w/ the plastic jar, matches & ice plate … it was unsuccessful. I called my friend Marci The Homeschool Scientist to see what I was doing wrong. Thankfully her post at The Homeschool Village, Don’t Be Afraid To Fail prepped me for the disappointment. Also pointed out God isn’t a God of chances, He has it all working together precisely.
We watched Squibs dvds I found at the library, Squibs, In the Clouds: Air, Weather & Water and Squibs, In Force: Gravity, Friction, & Work Great supplements for our Geography Matters lessons weeks 2 & 3.
Saturday Science – Saturdays the boys get “bored” and want to play Wii – all day. I have been pulling out our World of Science book and looking for experiments instead. We did the balloon, baking soda & vinegar - “C”hemical reaction experiment. I was happy it worked!
Geography Matters – 4th grade
We were on Spring Break, vacation, and then out of printer ink – so it’s been almost 3 weeks of only reading / discussing our lessons. Definitely not my
son’s … my our strength! We’re learning some BIG science words and terms I would not have been comfortable teaching on my own – radiation, conduction, and convection, air pressure, etc. This is fun.
His favorite work is still labeling the maps. Assigned spelling words have been a breeze for him, so I’m thankful we’re also doing All About Spelling 4 (prefixes this week). I’m looking into Daily Grams for a bit of extra grammar work just because the grammar “mechanics” pages have only been a few sentences per page, and I feel he needs a bit more practice.
Eat Your Way Thru the USA this week he made Vermont’s Baked Apples! He didn’t like them but hubs and I sure did!
If you’re interested in Paths of Settlement by Geography Matters I encourage you to read Finding Joy’s 10 Reasons she loves it and also the most thorough review I’ve ever read in my entire life (on anything) Kris at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.
Personally - “C” is NOT for dead fish, but we’ve had two fish funerals this week! =( Also – I have some crazy bug bite on the back of my neck that is driving me nuts – and it’s super pretty.
I started Beth Moore’s Stepping Up study / download videos. Good stuff. Trying to get back into the swing of school after being gone is like going to the dentist for a filling. The boys are magically allergic to the table, work, and reading. This overwhelms me as a homeschool
mom blogger. They’re supposed to love learning.
I’m finishing my notes for The 2:1 Conference this week — it’s coming up in 20 something days. I want to vomit. What do I know? I am confident in His Word – and that’s all I need. I am totally stepping out on Him. (she also asked me to open the conference in prayer ~ faint)
C isn’t for garden, it is for Cactus and we’re watching ours dry out. But if you’re planting one (and a homeschooler) go link up at the 2nd Annual HSV Garden Challenge (monthly giveaways)
I don’t have time to read a lot of blogs, so the ones I want to high five, chest bump, and/or knuckle bomb -I will be sharing them with you as “must reads”! Finding Joy - Real Pony Tailed Me , See Jamie Blog - The Real Online Me, Jezamama – Why Do You Let Them Steal Your Purpose, Amy via Sisters In Bloom- Her First Choice, and Carisa – Just Me and a Few Struggles … this week, these posts – these women, they make me feel ok to be me (spider bitten me)!
Since I’m not updating as much as far as blog posts – you can keep up with our daily photos and fun at my facebook page!